sunnuntai 11. heinäkuuta 2010

Cruising the Coral Coast Part 2: Being stalked in Coral Bay

So, the morning after the end of the tour I wake up in my dorm and notice that all the beds I can see are empty. The others are gone, and even D the German girl has changed rooms (she got upgraded after taking up cleaning duty in exchange for a free stay). I feel weird but happy to be alone again, and let out a sigh. Then I hear His creepy voice wishing me good morning. I can't believe it! Mr Annoying has made a last-minute decision to stay in Coral Bay for a few more days before continuing his tour, and therefore I have the "pleasure" to stay with him for three more nights. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Had I expected Mr Annoying to stay around, I would certainly had nightmares about him. However, the reality turned out to match anything I could have imagined: he decided to turn into my personal stalker. Wherever I went, he followed me. He asked me five times a day what I was planning to do next, and always tagged along. Avoiding him wasn't that easy as we shared a room and he usually woke up before me and waited until I got up. Being in a town that consists of one short strip of road and a beach, there weren't many places I could go to. Suddenly the ladies room was a very attractive place to spend time in...

I did everything I could short of screaming at him to fuck off and leave me alone (since when am I too nice to do that?!) but had little success in avoiding him. Twice I managed to escape to the beach while he was in the toilet, but both times I only had five minutes of freedom before he found me. One morning I managed to wake up before him, so I tiptoed out of the room, grabbed D and went for a long walk. We strolled along the shoreline climbing across the rocks, keeping an eye out for sharks as that bay was the breeding area of the local reef sharks. (During the breeding season you could see hundreds of them patrolling around, but now in the winter we saw none.) We climbed on top of a high sand dune and looked at the empty landscape in front of us. I found it amazing that any kind of life could survive there, but there was actually a lot of low shrubbery covering the sand floor. We also saw a kangaroo bouncing through the waste land. It was nice to get out of the village for a while, and those hours were also critical for my sanity!

The guy was incredibly stupid for not getting it that I couldn't stand him. Whenever I saw him, an involuntary grimace spread on my face. When he talked to me, I honestly could not make myself look at him because he disgusted me so much. I always left wherever I was if he showed up. I never said a word to him unless answering a question, never told him where I was going if I could avoid answering the direct question, never showed any sign on interest in his existence. HELLO??!! Maybe he is a sort of masochist and enjoys being around someone who hates him.

Easyrider had made a deal with a local snorkel gear shop so we could borrow a snorkelling set free of charge for the duration of our stay. This was awesome for two reasons: 1) the reef was so close that you could reach it from the beach, so all the coral and the fish were only a minute's swim away, 2) as Mr Annoying was hopeless in underwater navigation (as prooved during our kayaking trip), there was no way he could follow me around in the water. No need to say that during the three free days I spent hours snorkelling despite the water being quite chilly.

When the other people from our tour group returned from a national park two nights later, I was so relieved I wanted to cry. Everybody else hated Mr Annoying as well, so they listened very sympathetically my ranting about him. Damn, the guy is such a sad case that I would feel sorry for him, that is if he hadn't managed to make me hate him.

My last night in Coral Bay we had a party in the tour bus. Mr Annoying had went to bed early, so I had a great time just because he wasn't there. The Texan let it slip that he had had a disturbing man-to-man talk with Mr Annoying when they had been sharing a room, and Mr Annoyinh had shared his views on most of the girls on tour. Of course we bullied him to tell us, which was a mistake as we'd have been saved from a lot of disgusting images not knowing... In Mr Annoying's opinion, the shy English girl was clearly a closet freak who likes all kinds of kinky stuff behind the closed doors. The German girl K had big curly hair which prompted him to fantasize about pulling her hair while takin her. Ewww! Me he found intriguing and, according to the Texan, Mr Annoying was absolutely obsessed with me (why, I sort of noticed). I didn't want to hear a word more, and was seriously freaked out.

The following morning I didn't tell Mr Annoying when exactly I was leaving, so I managed to sneak out without saying goodbye to him. He asked for my surname so that he could add me on Facebook, but I threw in the classic move and gave him a piece of paper so he could write down his name instead. (Does it surprise you that I threw the note away later?) No way I would give him any contact details that would help him to find me again!

I have met many creeps and weirdoes in my time, but I can honestly say that I've found the winner, the most revolting guy I've ever met. I know that he's going to be in Broome the same time as me. Please hope with me that I won't bump into him again, this time completely alone...

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti